Wenceslas SquareWenceslas Square

Wenceslas Square

In 1348, Bohemian King Charles IV founded the New Town of Prague. The plan included several open areas for markets, of which the second largest was the Koňský trh, or Horse Market (the largest was the Charles Square). At the southeastern end of the market was the Horse Gate, one of the gates in the walls of the New Town.
During the Czech national revival movement in the 19th century, a more noble name for the street was requested. At this time the statue was built, and the square was renamed.
On 28 October 1918, Alois Jirásek read the proclamation of independence of Czechoslovakia in front of the Saint Wenceslas statue...

See on map

around

Visit
Visit
Visit
Belles Fleurs

Shopping

Visit
Visit
Le Premier

Shopping

Visit
Na příkopě

Street

Visit
Visit
Wilsonova

Street

Visit
Vodičkova

Street

Visit
Jindřišská

Street